The Federal Tax Clinic at Public Law Center (PLC) ensures the fairness and integrity of the federal tax system for all taxpayers, particularly for low-income and Limited English Proficiency (LEP) individuals and families. The PLC Federal Tax Clinic is part of the Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) program, a nationwide network of independent organizations united under a shared mission to protect taxpayer rights.
PLC Federal Tax Clinic provides pro bono, confidential legal assistance to eligible taxpayers with a wide range of tax-related legal assistance, including:
- Represent individual low-income taxpayers with tax issues before the Internal Revenue Service and in the United States Tax Court, including:
- Administrative Appeals
- Collection Matters
- Innocent Spouse
- Tax-Related Identity Theft
- Employee Misclassification
- Injured Spouse
- Educate low-income and LEP taxpayers regarding their rights and responsibilities; and
- Advocate for solutions to systemic issues that impact low-income taxpayers.
Self-Help & Resources
- Free tax prep services for eligible taxpayers are available with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs. Visit: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-returnprepartion-for-qualifying-taxpayers.
- Request your tax records by visiting: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript.
If you are facing a tax issue and would like to find out if you are eligible for assistance, please call the Tax Clinic’s intake line at: (888)230-3741 and leave a message.
We will return your call as soon as possible.
***Interpreter services are available.***